The Young Westminster Foundation (YWF) is seeking an experienced Business Development Manager to join our team.
Job title: Business Development Manager
Salary: £40,000 – £44,000 (depending on experience)
Contracted hours: Full time (37.5 hours)
Location: Young Westminster Foundation Office, Soho, London & also homeworking
About Young Westminster Foundation:
The Young Westminster Foundation is a vibrant local charity established to support young people growing up in Westminster to have healthy, safe and bright futures. The foundation is a cross-sector partnership, working with youth clubs, charities, schools, businesses, funders, government and Westminster City Council. Together we shape opportunities and create the best services for children and young people in Westminster through supporting and sustaining the children and young people’s sector.
We’re looking for someone to join our small and dynamic team based from our Soho office to ensure that we can continue to sustain and grow the support we offer young people through our member organisations in Westminster. Since 2017, we have been supporting local youth clubs and organisations through grants, training, research and networking opportunities. Forging partnerships with businesses, public sector partners, individuals and major funders, our work helps strengthen services for all young people in our central London borough. We have grown from a small start-up charity to an established go-to organisation for the youth sector, awarding £1million+ in grants to our membership of over 120 youth organisations throughout our 5 years.
We work with a number of high-profile funders and businesses in Westminster to secure funding and provide an insight into employment opportunities on offer in their borough. This includes Landsec, British Land , GLA, City Bridge Trust, Addison Lee, Vodaphone , HSBC to name a few.
Established in the context of reduced public funding, we are part of a growing network of Young People’s Foundations (YPFs) established nationally by John Lyon’s Charity and the YPF Trust. Through working together at a local level, we hope to develop cross-sector solutions to some of London’s greatest challenges, including serious youth violence, emotional health & wellbeing and youth employability. The Young People’s Foundation model has been highlighted by the DCMS Civil Society Strategy 2018 as ‘an innovative model for sustaining youth services at a local level’.
We are a flexible team, supported by experienced and motivated trustees. Our work is underpinned by the voices of young people – since we began we have undertaken two needs analysis with young people in Westminster and we continue to embed youth voice throughout our everyday work with a team of young ambassadors.
Working with businesses and other funders is fundamental to the work of the foundation to allow us to continue our grants programme, lead consortia bids and sustain the Children’s and Young People’s sector in Westminster.
- Members: Helping youth clubs and youth organisations to thrive
- Partnerships: Fostering a community who care about Westminster’s young people
- Funding: Generating long term investment for youth organisations and young people in Westminster
- Knowledge: Listening, learning and sharing
This is a really diverse and interesting role. There are 4 key areas that you will be leading on:
- Developing and diversifying our funding streams through securing funds from corporates funders and individuals
- Partnership development (members and corporates and other stakeholders)
- Oversight of our employability programme including management of delivery partners and sustainability of funding for the project
- Supporting the Management Team with business strategy
You will be working closely with the CEO to ensure that our fundraising strategy is delivered and further developed as the Foundation grows. There is scope to move into a more senior role in the organisation.
- Deliver and further develop a fundraising strategy to maximise income, including building new business pipeline & a portfolio of high value prospects.
- Identify large scale grant opportunities for members; developing and leading partnership applications.
- Develop innovative approaches to raising funds.
- Support the CEO with stakeholder engagement and management of senior relationships within local authority, the NHS, Met Police etc.
- Manage the preparation, writing and submission of bids to funders and support CEO in maintaining relationships with strategic funders.
- Support the CEO and Director of Strategy and Communications by contributing as required to decision making within the Senior Management Team.
- Supervise YWF volunteers, interns and employees involved in fundraising activities.
- Support the CEO in making direct approaches, develop and deliver tailored corporate fundraising proposals and requests for pro-bono support.
- Support the CEO in and meeting high net-worth individuals.
- Work with the Marketing Manager in the preparation of high-quality marketing materials to support fundraising, consulting with corporate partners and agencies.
- Project management of financial and budget controls, development of systems to support the work including tracking systems for Funders (good knowledge of using CRM and Microsoft Office systems essential).
What we are looking for:
Commercial and fundraising expertise – you will be able to demonstrate significant experience of securing a high level of funding from a range of sources including businesses, trusts and/ or statutory funders
Management Experience – you will have experience of working closely /managing others and contributing to senior level management discussions around strategic issues.
Communications – you will need to demonstrate examples of excellent written skills; good administration and systems skills.
Partnership development – good interpersonal skills and experience of working with diverse range of complex partnerships, consortia and/ or membership arrangements are key.
Project management – you have experience of managing projects from inception to evaluation and working under your own steam.
Creativity – you will be full of ideas, thinking outside of the box and can contribute your creative thinking into the ongoing success of YWF.
Mucking in – working in a small team with tight resources you will not be shy about helping out with getting things done but in return you will get flexible working arrangements, fun and independence.
The cause – you will be passionate about our vision to support children and young people and have an understanding of the challenges and opportunities in this sector.
At YWF we offer an attractive package of benefits to our staff. This includes:
– Competitive pay package and pension scheme
– Annual leave – 28 days plus Christmas closure
– Enhanced maternity pay
– Sabbatical scheme
– Flexible working
– Cycle to work scheme
– Learning and development opportunities
Diversity & Inclusion:
Young Westminster Foundation works with and supports diverse communities. Our member organisations are grassroots non-profits supporting young people in our communities. Many of these organisations are led by global majority groups. As YPFs we work with our members to elevate their work and voices. We recognise the impact of poverty and racism on our communities and aim to work actively alongside communities rather than ‘doing to them’ and take an intersectional approach. We also acknowledge the additional impact of discrimination experienced by women, disabled people and LGBT+ people of the global majority. As part of our commitment to equity, inclusion and cultural competency across our network, we ensure diverse communities are represented and supported in our organisation and structures and encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Accessibility: Please note that our office is located on the second floor without lift access.
Closing date for applications: 30/08/2022
For more information, please contact: Helen Mann, CEO firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please go to https://jobs.prospect-us.co.uk/jobs/details/hq00181833